Waters Of The Forest Of Dean
Once owned by the Crawshay Family of South Wales. Lightmoor was one of the showpiece collieries of the Forest of Dean and reputed to be one of the best 'laid out' and operated coalmines of its time. Enjoyed a very long history of production only finally closing in 1940. The spoil heap is probably one of the most impressive left in the Forest and a well known local landmark just outside of Cinderford town. Despite a lot of it being removed to infill the land when Llanwern Steelworks were built in the 1960s its still a fine 'artificial hill'. The pond which is now used for angling by The Royal Forest of Dean Angling Club was probably used for the washing of coal.
© STEVE GASKIN PHOTOGRAPHY 2015 - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED