Villages Of The Forest of Dean
Alvington was one of a number of hamlets dotted along the River Severn, following the former Roman road leading from Newnham on Severn to Chepstow. The manor of Alvington is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 under the name ‘Alwintune’, then part of the Herefordshire hundred of Bromsash, held by Turstin FitzRolf. During the 12th century, Alvington joined Gloucestershire as part of the Bledisloe hundred, and became a separate parish. During the late Middle Ages Alvington parish and manor were under the ownership of Llanthony Priory (in Gloucester) which was dissolved in 1539. The lord of the manor's seat was situated in Clanna Falls around one mile from the village. In its history Alvington, has variously boasted two smithies, a small brewery, a small engineering works and several shops.*
*Built by Llanthony Priory around 1140, the church was originally named St. Mary's, until it took its current name of St. Andrew’s in 1523. In 1858 the church underwent substantial restoration leaving only one small Norman architecture window to reveal its Norman origins. St. Andrew's, Alvington is in the Parish of Woolaston and Alvington, in the Deanery of Forest South under the Diocese of Gloucester. St. Andrew's, Alvington is found on Church Lane and a village hall was built nearby in 1924.
INFORMATION COURTESY OF: *Wikipedia